Saturday, February 09, 2008

The need for consistency

I just helped a patron who was asking for some titles that are not available from within SLC. The problem was that he has a New Baltimore card. One of the items he wanted was available through Melcat, the other was available through OCLC. I explained to him that he needed to have a Chesterfield card in order for to request a book for him from outside the cooperative. He held up a book that he had just picked up from circulation that we apparently ordered for him through OCLC. I explained to him that we had been bending the rules to help people out, but with the new statewide system we are not able to that. It would make no sense for me to place holds for two books for him where one would come here (the OCLC one) and the other would go to New Baltimore (the Melcat one). I explained to him that if he had a Chesterfield card I would be able to request both books for him, and both books would come here for pick-up. He seemed to kind of understand. I feel that for the sake of good customer service we need to all be saying the same thing. At our last meeting we talked about how most other libraries will only place OCLC requests for patrons with cards from that library. This situation is going to occur with increasing frequency. If we all consistently tell patrons that they need a Chesterfield card to request books from outside SLC, it will be much better than going back and forth.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret brings up a good point. If a patron wants a library card, the first thing we ask is if they have a card any where else. If they say "Yes, New Baltimore" (or elsewhere in our co-op) we say, that one is fine, will work here. So if ref is sending patron here to get a CHE card, we need a heads up, so we don't confuse the situation.

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger Holly said...

You're right Jean. It was the librarian meeting where we talked about this. We should all know and communicate to patrons that requesting items from outside our cooperative is a level of service that is available only for Chesterfield card holders.

ps-I had another non-Chesterfield patron just now (2pm Monday) wanting books from outside SLC

 

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home