Monday, April 30, 2007

Where? Who? Why? Etc.

Please EVERYBODY READ:

The past couple of months I have had many instances where I just happen to be talking to a staff member about something tech related and the conversation will move to something else that doesn't work or isn't right, etc.

I will then say "how long has it been like this" and the response is "oh a while now" or "months!"
I then ask "why didn't you tell me earlier" and the response is "Oh, I thought you knew" or “I thought so and so told you”.
Example: the barcode scanner at reference that "nobody has used in forever because it faster to type it in". (This is just a setting in the scanner and could have been fixed in about 5 minutes)

So I am asking staff to please tell me when something is wrong and don't assume somebody else did. I would much rather be told three times than not at all. If you have an email account please email me. If you don't have email please leave a sticky note on my desk in front of my keyboard. Be as specific as possible. More details are definitely better when it comes to technology.

This leads me to my next request:
Because Jean is in charge of the shelvers, but I am in charge of the shelves, there is a lot of confusion about who to tell about issues out on the floor, with books, shelving areas, etc.

Jean and I realize that nobody wants to "step out of bounds" or not tell "the right person." We know that we will both end up working together on many of these problems anyways, so we have no issues with "whose area is that?"

We have devised the following plan for the best way to communicate anything pertaining with the “floor” (books, shelves, signs, etc)

For everybody who has email, please email any questions, comments or suggestions having anything to do with the “floor” to BOTH of us. (minorl@libcoop.net and wilkinsj@libcoop.net ).
Example: These shelves are messy, or this area needs different signage, or the books are getting really tight in this spot.

For those without email, please use Jean's existing suggestion box.
(Located up at circulation on the shelves next to where staff holds are held.)

If you just verbally tell us something, there is a good chance we could forget.

We will check our email and the suggestion box daily, but if something needs immediate attention, feel free to grab the first one of us that you see and we will take care of it.

The better shape the "floor" is in, the easier it is for both staff and patrons.

We both really need and appreciate everybody’s input. Thanks!

Jean & Lynn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home