Monday, March 19, 2007

Invaluable Community Information on the Chesterfield Library Home Page

I would like to take a moment to share this Ref desk experience with you. A few weeks ago I took some time to navigate the Making the Right Connection in Macomb County community services database which is located as a link through the topic heading - Community - on the Chesterfield Library home page. I had the opportunity of directing two patrons on two different occasions to the community services contained in this electronic resource last week. Both the patrons needed housing information, one on senior and disabled housing and the other on low income housing. Because the index is set up as a simple topical index and then as a situational sub-index the patrons were able to sit down at the OPACs and search the information on their own and in privacy. Each patron could print out the results of his/her own personal search as well. In five to ten minutes the patrons had the information with minimal assistance from the reference librarian. I've learned how important it is to take the time to investigate our electronic resources in order to make the patrons aware of what is accessible on our home page. Please share one of your favorite e-resources in a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home